Thursday, October 3, 2013

12 WEEKS POSTPARTUM UPDATE

12 Weeks Postpartum Progress

12 weeks already and my baby boy is 2.5 months old, it really does go by fast. Well them growing and reaching all those milestones does at least.

For the moms losing the weight, fitting back into our clothes, and feeling strong again could never come quick enough right?

While that's true I have mostly embraced this journey and have concentrated hard on giving myself the grace (and time) I need to recover from having a baby. 

The last six weeks I was able to start back at the gym and I love it. I will admit deciding what to wear wasn't fun or worrying about others opinions of my post baby body but hitting the heavy weights felt amazing. It was almost (I said almost) like I had never taken a break.
 
These are 3 weeks, 5, weeks, 6 weeks, and 12 weeks postpartum progress pictures. I see changes in my legs, lower abdomen and back area for sure. 

 
Left picture right before baby in July, middle picture was 5 weeks postpartum and last picture is 12 weeks postpartum. 
* my boobs are still ginormo (black bra hides that a little), I usually hold weight there and all over until I stop nursing so that may be a while. 


Progress has been made, in several ways. I definitely feel stronger. My pelvic floor and lower back were very weak after delivery (even after all that pregnancy planking and squatting I did) but I can feel all of that returning to normal (yay no more accidental pee).  

The scale is moving......slowly. I am down another 5 pounds from my last update so I'm losing less than a pound a week. I am eating in a small caloric deficit but nursing and making muscle demand proper calories, so I make sure those calories are eaten wisely.  My polar is constantly telling me to train less in zone 3 and that's while lifting so I'm comfortable with my expenditure each day and not over doing cardio.

I started the Busy Mom Gets Fit 12 week 5 day gym plan 3 weeks ago and really contribute my most recent progress to that type of training. I try to add 15-30 minutes of sprint intervals, jogging or the step mill 3 days a week at least.

Link to the training plan I currently follow and co-authored.
Busy Mom Gets Fit Training Plans
 

So I said the scale is moving and I am happy about that. But here is the thing with the scale, if I let it my entire mood will be effected by what I see. Before my pregnancy gaining weight meant gaining muscle mass which was a desired outcome. Right now I have fat to lose that is just part of pregnancies and my body. A few weeks ago I weighed in and saw no change, I spent the next three miles fighting back tears and feeling frustrated. Then I reminded myself I wouldn't change anything. Not my training, not my eating, and not my goals. I know that I am working hard and giving it all I have, I don't doubt that for one minute.  So I only weigh myself every 3-4 weeks and I step on reminding myself of each workout I did and each piece of sugar I stepped away from (sweets are my enemy). It's more than calories in and calories out for me, if I wanted I could spend hours on cardio machines to beat the scale but that's not my goals so that's not my plan. So I've continued to dig in and stay the course and remember the scale is one tool for the measurement of progress and let that be it. 

In six weeks I will have my first ever professional photo shoot. I would have never believed you if you told me I would be doing such a thing so quickly after a baby.  The shoot isn't because I'm going to look great it's for the Mom Power Team which I am part of and Gorgo Fitness Magazine. That is certainly keeping me motivated but I also know that anything that lasts takes time and building my body back will definitely take more than 4 months.  

I will be back with progress in 6 weeks and let you know how I feel about doing such a thing as a photo shoot with all those fit hot moms. Then again at the end of my 12 week BMGF plan. I took better before pictures for my next update but for this update tried to keep the same pose and stance, etc. 

A lot of you have asked to see what my diet looks like. While I am conscious of my food and macros I am not putting myself on a competitors diet just because I know what that is, not yet. I try to get protein at every meal, keep my cheats to one meal a week, and watch my sugar. 

BREAKFAST
is usually protein coffee and then a nutrimeal shake after I train clients and before I train myself. I add egg whites, a little PB2 ice and water to that shake. Oatmeal or Ezekiel muffins are also something I would have. For more ideas read what the Mom Power Team eats for breakfast.

I should be drinking a post workout shake but haven't been 100% on that. I usually come home and need to nurse and then I'm ready for lunch. 

LUNCH 
has been sliced chicken sandwiches on whole wheat sandwich thins with cocoa roasted almonds. Just recently I'm trying to add protein to that and cut some carbs.  Here is a meal I like to make for lunch if I have no prepped food. There was an original recipe but I have changed it a lot to fit my lifestyle.

Asian Broccoli Slaw
Half a bag of coleslaw
half a red pepper chopped
1/4 a cup of green onion
broccoli florets (about 8 broken apart)
1 package of tuna or cooked chicken (about 4oz)
 
Dressing
1/4 cup Braggs liquid Aminos
1 TBSP light oil
3 TBSP of white wine vinegar
1 TBSP PB2
1 clove minced garlic
stevia (to taste)
mix and poor over salad
TOP WITH CASHEWS YUMM!!!!
 
 


DINNER 
Is usually chicken, fish or beef prepared in some fashion.  I have found ways to clean up some of my family favorites. I usually serve with a side salad, veggies, or brown rice. I will provide some links to a few of my favorite easy make meals. 
I make a homemade taco seasoning for this one. 

One Pot Beef Skillet

Garlic Parmesean Chicken
I love Heidi Powells website because she is a busy working/stay at home mom, her meals are usually quick and easy.
 

SNACKS
quest bars
Cashews
Almonds
Rice cakes w peanut butter
Apple
Grapes
Protein coffee

I track my calories and macros using myfitnesspal app. Eating clean foods or the right foods is great but too much of one or not enough of the other won't help me reach my goals. So the app keeps me on track and aware of how much I am eating and accountable. Making sure to not eat something I shouldn't. I shoot for 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of my desired goal weight. Most of my carbs come from fruits and veggies and my fats are from healthy sources such as nuts, oils, and fish. 

My efforts toward diet have improved, it has taken time to adjust to three children, life, and prepping food (and making time to eat).  I pretty much kept the same eating routine while pregnant, only buying foods in our house that I want my kids or myself to eat. That has helped with getting back into a routine.  I cook at least four nights a week and we get by with left overs the rest of the week and drive thru once a week (A grilled chicken salad for me). I did ditch the Nutella, it had to go, and my 5 year old hasn't missed it either. So props to me for winning over the footholds of Nutella :-) 

This progress is far from amazing and far from where I want to be but it's progress. And it's only been made with diligence in the kitchen and intense training for an hour to an hour and a half a day. No pills, excessive cardio, shake gimmicks or wraps. I'm nursing so even my supplements are extremely limited. 

I'm not where I want to be but I'm 12 weeks closer than I was that's for sure. Just goes to show what making a plan and following through will get you. If you need help doing that please let me know how I can help!!  

Love, Sweat, Grit,
Christie FitNix

No comments:

Post a Comment