Sunday, September 15, 2013

It Feels Like Starting Over Again

I have always been active!! Always! There isn't a day from my childhood I don't remember as a soccer player.  That childhood passion and channeled focus in my teenage years resulted in an athletic scholarship to play soccer in college.  Around a full load of classes we had daily practices and training with a strength coach in the weight room. My fitness was a result of my sport and the knowledge gained led me to my degree choice. The love of sport and athleticism had me pursuing my degree in Exercise Science and I loved every minute. My wedding was planned to my Army man 2 weeks after graduation and I was ready to be his wife and follow him around the country, making a career in anything difficult. In 2003 I graduated, ended my soccer days and was married two weeks after that.

 
So I'm the short #5 in this collage, loved the national anthem before game time, hand over heart even then. As you can see #5 is my favorite number for a reason, this was even negotiated into my scholarship contract!! 



As a new bride to an Army man it was time to grow up and live real life. We moved a lot and having a career was not even in my thoughts. I was on my own to stay active, my motivation was to be thin and honestly it was more of a trade off to eat what I wanted. Running was the easiest thing for me to do and felt similar to the endurance of soccer. From time to time I played with the dumbbells and mimicked my strength and conditioning training from college. I looked good by most people's standards, fit in my size 4's and looked decent in clothes at least.

This was right after our 1 year anniversary before his first deployment.

Ready to have children in 2006 I was pregnant with my first daughter. It was the first time my athletic body didn't move or look like an athlete. It was defeating so I gave up any type of exercise. It took me the full year after a 55 pound weight gain but I lost the weight mostly with running. My girls are two years apart so repeat same story. 55 pounds and a good year to feel thin again.






Just to give you an idea of my weight gain. I choose not to have many
pictures then and never thought I would want to reflect back.  

For another year I kept my weight controlled with running and mostly calorie counting. If I indulged too much I made sure to run more. My girls kept me busy and there would be days I wouldn't eat a thing until after 2pm, I thought that was helpful in keeping me in a caloric deficit. I felt good as a mom of two and comfortable in clothes, but with all the running and calorie restricting I still would rather a one piece bathing suit than a bikini surprisingly.

 
I weighed my lightest here. This was after another deployment and both girls.
I ran and "dieted" to look good for a beach trip with my man
after the deployment.  Thin yes, shapely figure, no. 

Same time frame but dressed, thin but not strong!!

In 2010 we moved to Ft. Knox and my real fitness journey started. I wanted more than slavery to miles and calories. I dived into competing and proper nutrition and the pictures mostly speak for them selves. My goals changed, my reasons changed, and my sport had changed and I found my career as a personal trainer. I loved being an athlete again all the while being a busy mom and wife. Before my youngest was 3 I was competing in Figure and continued to do so for a year. Needing to improve in the sport I took some time to put on some mass (that means bigger shoulders and Glutes) and experimented with my nutrition for my body. I was in a GREAT PLACE physically. I even rocked a bikini summer of 2012.

Started in January 2011 

 First Show May 2011
Before second show October 2011
 
Before third show March 2012
 Back muscles come from Pull Ups :-)
 

Then I started over. Yep, one more baby, I always wanted one more. Clearly I remembered how my body and pregnancy work together (or don't depending on how you look at it). So many fears and unknowns but I put those aside and entered maternal bliss. I put away the competing heels and prepared for the maternity clothes.
 

After my first FIT PREGNANCY and a 35 pound weight gain I'm back at it again.

OH BUT THIS TIME IS SO DIFFERENT! Yes I want to fit into my clothes again but darn it I want my muscle back. I certainly won't get that from eating negative calories and running more miles than I can count.

I want to be STRONG again. I conquered pull ups before this baby (8 wide grip was my max) and I loved being able to do that. It was hard work to get there the first time and it's going to be hard to get there again.

I know where I've been and I know what it will take to get back. I know what my body looks like now and what I want it to look like again. Yes to rock that bikini but also because the visual appearance of muscle is a reminding reflection of the work, discipline and training that went into it.

Now I'm 9 weeks postpartum and my workouts are getting intense. I've been training in my garage but I'm able to start at the gym next week (baby boy is old enough for childcare now).

Competing again is my ultimate post pregnancy goal (so scary to put that out there) but right now I'm enjoying training for strength and pre-pregnancy clothes.

So yes it feels like I'm starting over, maybe I am, maybe I'm not. I'm hoping you'll stick around as I transform yet again! I love having y'all's support, I only hope I can motivate and encourage you as much as you do me!

Here we go.....Lets do this!

Make sure to follow the journey at www.facebook.com/fitnix5

LOVE, SWEAT, GRIT,
Christie FitNix


3 comments:

  1. Hey Girl!
    I too, am starting over. I was in great shape in February, back down to my pre-pregnancy weight but much stronger. Then on Feb.09 I had a stroke...boo. I felt like everything was taken from me and fear has held me back to a certain degree in going all in for my training and nutrition. So I am starting again, the same time I did last year, and by January I hope to be in even better shape (the foundation is still there ;)). I hope to one day compete, maybe next spring/summer. But I am going to have to be 100%. Good luck to you and I will be following your journey via FB. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an awesome inspiration!! I'm currently 38 weeks pregnant with baby #1 and I've gained around 40. It's been a really healthy pregnancy and I've been active everyday. But my body STILL has put on weight and as I head to the end it's scary to think I may not ever be able to get back to my pre-pregnancy clothing... Your story is inspiring. THANKS for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got this girl!!! Cant wait to watch your progress..I need your motivation mine has vanished lately WTH!!

    ReplyDelete